So 2016 has come to a close. And everyone seems to be in agreement that its been pretty, well – shit. We have lost some of the worlds greatest icons, and the world seems to be regressing 20 years politically. However, whilst all the above can at times cause us all great distress it’s important to remember the good things from the year.
I’m going to countdown my top ten things that I have achieved this year, and I challenge you to do the same. You can either leave them in the comments, or feel free to tweet or Insta me with your answers.
My New Years Reflections:
- I graduated from University. At times this felt pretty impossible and there is definitely a stage during my 3 year degree that I prefer not to look back on. However, in the end – I have the piece of paper and I got a gold coin from Dawn French, and thats all that matters.
- I’m a working girl. I managed to get an actual job. As in, I work 9-5 in an office. The best thing about it, is that I’m given quite a lot of freedom to present new ideas, which is great.
- Flat by the sea. Living away from home can still be daunting at times, even when you’re 21. However, my little sanctuary by the sea, makes it that much easier to survive.
- Freelancing. I may not be in-undated by requests, however, I am now freelance writing in a couple of different formats and this makes me unbelievably happy. Not only does it keep my writing up to snuff, but it gives me the opportunity to explore different areas of written copy.
- I visited the Houses of Parliament! Around November I had the amazing opportunity to attend an event at Houses of Parliament. Once there I was to take over Graduate Fashion Week’s social media. It was a lot of fun, especially since I was surrounded by such an amazing group of people. I even met Hilary Alexander, this truly was a pinch-me moment.
- Fashion Week. Earlier this year I worked for Fashion Scout, the biggest off schedule event during LFW. During my time there I had the most amazing time, and I worked my butt off. My biggest highlight whilst there has to be interviewing none other than Jimmy Choo. It was a once in a lifetime moment, and I had been given precisely one minute to prepare. And what made it so amazing, was that he was one of the most genuine and humble people I have ever met.
- #TopshopStyle – I know that this blog has struggled to be my first priority in the last 12 months, actually make that 24 months. However, occasionally some things come along and they remind you why you started doing this in the first process. I love personal style, and I love writing. So when Topshop put you on the first page of their website, you get the inkling that you might be on the right track.
- Picture perfect moments. I would be lying if I said that this year hasn’t been one of the trickiest years of my personal life. Because there have definitely been some very low points. However, there is one picture in particular that I have found myself recently looking at, that makes me feel so much better. I had been upset of a pier in Padstow, and then all of the sudden I felt two pairs of arms loop round mine and hold me up. And after my puffy eyes had calmed down and I had received all of the hugs, we took a picture. It reminds me that there will always be lows, however there will be people to help you get back up again. Which leads me quite nicely onto my next number…
- Friends. This year I have made so many friends, and even strengthened current friendships. I went to fashion week with my now current flatmate. I made a spontaneous trip to Board-Masters with Beth, discovered more of London with Dominique, took polaroids on the beach with my Falmouth Family, danced many nights away with Tasha, and even received visits from friends that at times feel like they are far away.
- Berlin – I often forget that I travelled to Berlin this year, it feels so long ago now. It felt so good to travel and explore. One of my favourite memories whilst there, is sitting in a jazz bar drinking german beer. It will forever be held in my mind as a great moment. It reminded me that I want to travel lots more.
10.5. I turned 21 whilst surrounded by my best friends and a cliché Parisian themed garden. AMAZING!
If you would like to visually look back on my year, be sure to visit my Instagram. I love to capture amazing moments on there and I’m looking to increase that this year, so make sure you’re following me!
I hope I can repeat and even improve upon some of 2016’s greatest moments. I have no idea what 2017 holds, but to quote Kylie Jenner – I never thought I’d ever say that – if 2016 was the year of “like realising stuff”, then I feel like 2017 is going to be the year for “like deciding stuff”.
Happy New Years everyone, I’m starting today as a blank slate. Check back here soon to see my first #ootd for 2017!
T-shirt – White Company
Jeans – White Company
Necklace – Topshop
P.S. Remember to let me know your New Years reflections!